2013-02-25

CSC 104 Slog-Week Three (Jan 21st - Jan 27th)



CSC 104 Slog-Week Three (Jan 21st - Jan 27th)
❤Something new learned in the class:
[About the history of computing]
Chinese common tally system
  ❀Representing information with the table showed in the slides: we read the corresponding sequence on the top and then read the one on the left side. in this way the information is represented. For example, “C” can be represented by 1000011. Note that the space should also be represented by the particular sequence.
  ❀Early devices (tally systems): Clay tablets and Abacuses. For clay tablets, it’s read-only when it’s backed but it can be read and wrote on when it’s only sundried. ---------This remind me of the chinese common tally system. We uses the Chinese character "正" to count numbers.
Hindu-Arabic numbers
  ❀The progress made in the number systems: ①Hindu-Arabic numbers used the positional notation which makes it easier to calculate. ②We add powers and logs to multiply quickly and extract roots.
  ❀In the industrial revolution, we began to use loom and engines.
  ❀At first our data are digital, while later on the analog computers model began to use smoothly-varying quantities such as water.
[About the Dr.Racket Program]
  ❀Racket Definitions – we learned how to make definition of a function.

❤ Challenges I met this week
  ❀Don’t know how to write the program at first.
Oh my Dr.Racket
  Since before this week, we only needed to distinguish the functions and describe the functions’ effect when the “run” button is clicked in Dr.Racket system, I haven’t tried to write down the expressions in Dr.Racket myself. This time, on the class I had to try to imitate the expressions in the system and finish the exercise of making definitions all by myself, which was pretty hard for me at first. However, later on when I got used to writing it, everything became better.
√The things I learned from this problem:
①When we are told to write another check-expect, just take another example. They just want to see whether we have totally understood the function they give to us.
②When writing the definitions part, usually just copy down the “check-expect” with the specific examples substituted by universal words like “im” representing images, “s” representing strings, etc.

❤The test/quiz/assignment
Luckily I totally understand the quiz and got a perfect in the quiz. Hopefully I’ll do as well as this time next time.


❤Feedback to other's blogs
This week I read 's blog and left a message: "Indeed, reading week is a good time to review stuff :D But it's always very hard to study on holiday ;P".
Reading week is a good chance to make some change, we just always can't make good advantage of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment